Andrée Gacoin is a PhD student in the Department of Educational Studies. Her research interests are around gender, youth identities and sexuality education. Her PhD research aims to understand how educators and youth make sense of notions of gender, gender relations and empowerment in the context of sexuality education for HIV prevention in South Africa.
Andrée's research builds on her professional experience as a community health educator in Gabon and a curriculum developer with non-profit organizations in South Africa and Canada. She holds an MSc in Gender, Development and Globalization from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Dr. Lisa Loutzenheiser, Associate Professor, Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Dr. Mona Gleason, Associate Professor, Department of Educational Studies
- Gacoin, A. (2010). Youth voice and HIV prevention: Discursive opportunities, limitations and productive impossibilities. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 31(2): 165-178. doi: 10.1080/01596301003679685
- Gacoin, A. (2010). Sexuality, gendered identities and exclusion: The deployment of proper (hetero)sexuality within an HIV-prevention text from South Africa. Culture, Health & Sexuality, 12(4): 429-444. doi: 10.1080/13691051003602596
- D’Allesandro, C. & A. Gacoin. (2006). Saving lives: Children’s right to HIV/AIDS treatment. Paper written for the Global Movement for Children.
- Gacoin, A. (forthcoming, 2011, November). Teaching empowerment? Power and agency in sexuality education discourses in the context of HIV prevention programmes. Paper to be presented at the Social Aspects of HIV & AIDS Research Alliance Conference, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- Gacoin, A. (2010, October). Risking a worldly education for HIV prevention. Paper presented at the Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) Western Regional Conference, California, USA.
- Gacoin, A. (2010, May). Revisiting empowerment: HIV prevention discourse and me(n). Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Society for the Study of Education, Montreal, Canada.
- Gacoin, A. (2010, July). Why isn’t HIV prevention education empowering? Poster presented at the XVIII International AIDS Conference, Vienna, Austria.
- Gacoin, A., J. Jacobs & T. Verani. (2007, June). Facilitating networking and knowledge exchange across university peer education programmes in Southern Africa. Poster presented at the 3rd South African AIDS Conference, Durban, South Africa.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholar (2011 - 2014), Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Bottom Billion Fieldwork Fund (2011), Liu Institute for Global Issues
- Research Travel Grant (2011), Faculty of Education
- Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (2009 - 2013), University of British Columbia
Work Experience in International Health and Education:
- Curriculum Development Consultant, 2010 - 2011. AIDS Vancouver (Vancouver, Canada).
- Knowledge Management Consultant, 2005 - 2010. AIDSPortal Initiative, UK Consortium on AIDS & the International HIV/AIDS Alliance (London, UK; Cape Town, South Africa; Vancouver, Canada).
- Research and Development Consultant, 2006 - 2008. GOLD Peer Education Development Agency (Cape Town, South Africa).
- Community Health Educator and Trainer, 2002 - 2004. United States Peace Corps (Gabon).